Due to the pandemic situation in the world, the resumption of regular international flights to Georgia has been postponed until the end of July.
As part of the preventive measures against the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), the restriction on the implementation of international regular air flights to Georgia has been extended until July 31, 2020.
Minister of Economy and Sustainable Development of Georgia Natia Turnava announced earlier today that the ban on regular flights is due to a rapid increase in the number of new coronavirus cases in the partner and neighboring countries. The main factor for postponing the country reopening for international visitors is the desire to maintain a positive epidemiological situation in the country and the health of the Georgian citizens. “Most of all, we want to resume the regular flights as soon as possible – as you know, our government, including our Ministry, was at the forefront of the process in opening new flights and bringing new airlines to the Georgian market, but now the priority is the health of our population and the epidemiological situation in Georgia’’. As the Minister noted, the main task of the Georgian government in relation to tourism is to strengthen the achievements of what is called the management of the epidemiological situation and the protection of the Georgian citizens.
Georgian Civil Aviation Agency has announced that the restrictions on international regular flights will be extended until July 31. “The decision to resume regular air traffic will be made based on the epidemiological situation in the world and in Georgia”, reads the statement published by the agency. Given that the situation for the aviation sector is hard to predict globally, travel and border restrictions are changed periodically. We call on citizens not to purchase tickets until the exact date of the resumption of the international flights is announced by official sources”. Links: Georgian Civil Aviation Agency and United Airports of Georgia
At the same time, we would like to inform you that before the full resumption of international regular flights, citizens of Georgia can plan their return to homeland with Georgian Airways commercial charter flights from various European cities in July. To check the flight schedule and purchase tickets, please contact the airline or the tour operators.
The country still maintains the existing regulations, 14-day quarantine remains mandatory. Restrictions on the entry of Georgian territory does NOT apply to:
- Representatives of diplomatic missions accredited in Georgia, international organizations and their family members;
- Mixed families in which one of the spouses or minor children is a citizen of Georgia (must have proof of marriage / birth certificate);
- Representatives of the future humanitarian missions – if the need for such will occur (doctors, volunteers, etc.);
- Stateless person having a special status in Georgia;
- Individuals holding a neutral identity card and / or a neutral travel document;
- Individuals with refugee status in Georgia;
- Members of the official delegations upon the relevant decision;
- Drivers of the international freight transport, International Rail Transportation personnel and members of the aircraft crew.
According to the Minister of Economy and Sustainable Development, Georgia is working on the regulations that will allow some foreign nationals (students, businessmen, etc.) to enter the country, which will be announced in the near future.
Georgia continues to work with partners to resume regular international flights.